To participate in PEI internships and research-related travel, students must be currently enrolled as degree candidates at Princeton University and be in good academic and judicial standing with the University. Students must agree to adhere to the University’s standards of conduct as described in Rights, Rules and Responsibilities.

Requirements governing undergraduate travel are described on the University Travel website, including for domestic and international travel, overnight travel and travel to countries with U.S. State Department restrictions. Students are responsible for registering their University-sponsored overnight travel on the University Travel Database at least one month prior to scheduled departure.

PEI and Princeton provide students such as Teddy Eyster ’13 (above, pictured in Poland’s Biebrza National Park) traveling for an internship or for research-related fieldwork with access to numerous resources to ensure a safe and productive experience abroad.


Vehicle Use and Rental

Undergraduates may not rent vehicles or drive University-owned vehicles while on University-sponsored domestic trips without a valid University vehicle certification. Undergraduate students may not rent or drive cars or motorbikes in foreign countries (exception: Canada), or be driven by graduate students.


Health Insurance

The University provides International Travel Medical Insurance Benefits to all students, faculty and staff with a current passport or visa who are temporarily traveling or residing outside of their home country of regular residence as part of a University activity, program, research, or other University-sponsored travel. This coverage is provided by Nationwide Insurance in conjunction with International SOS. There is no enrollment required and no separate ID card. Simply print an International SOS membership card and carry it with you for the duration of your program.

All interns, participating in domestic internships, must carry valid health insurance, with coverage for hospitalization and physician care. Private insurance must meet or exceed the coverage provided by the Princeton University Student Health Plan.


Useful Links